Urgent Support

Urgent Support Adults

This section includes urgent support for some common conditions and how different organisations can help.

111 AND 999

You can call 999 in an emergency or 111 for advice if you are not sure whether your condition is an emergency.

The NHS website have helpfully summarised some of the key points which apply nationally in the following articles


In an emergency if you or someone else has seriously injured themselves, taken an overdose or are on the point of doing so call 999 or go directly to A&E. Other support is provided under


You can call 999 in an emergency or 111 for advice. Some common emergencies which should be assessed in A&E urgently are included under

Spotting sepsis early can make a difference and this is covered under


You can call 999 with an eye emergency or 111 for advice. You should always call 111 if you are planning to go to an eye casualty so you are told what local eye casualty is open. You may be able to get an urgent on the day appointment with your optician for advice for some conditions. Some common eye emergencies which require assessment at an eye casualty are covered under


You can call 999 in an emergency or 111 for advice. Alternatively, there is information on what conditions can be treated with pharmacy support, what can be treated by a local urgent treatment centre and what might need an A&E. This includes information on how you can find your local urgent treatment centres, see under


You can call 111 for help in accessing an emergency dentist including out of hours. This is explained further under

GP practices do not provide dental treatment.


In an emergency, always call 999 for the police.

Other options including temporary safe accommodation are available and can be found under

Other options for various crimes, including some national support numbers, can be found under


Urgent short term emergency support for food, heating or lightning (Including food banks) can be found in the subsection “Local self -referral” under

If you think that you may be at risk of losing your accommodation or currently have nowhere to live then there is urgent local support under


Emergency supply

If you run out of medicine outside of your GP surgery’s normal opening hours (Out of hours) and need some urgently then a pharmacy can help. See answer under “Emergency supply of your usual medication” under

Emergency contraception

For “emergency contraception” see subsection “Local support – self referral” under


Support for safeguarding of adults (stopping both the risks and experience of abuse or neglect) can be found under

DISCLAIMER: This website is provided for information only and does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. It does not replace the advice, diagnosis and treatment provided by a medical professional. We will not accept responsibility for any loss, damage or injury that arises from the use of this website.

Links are provided for information only and though we endeavour to ensure the information is accurate, we cannot accept responsibility for the sites linked to or the information found on these sites. A link to a site does not indicate approval or support of the site. While we endeavour to make sure that downloadable content is free from viruses, we cannot accept any liability for damage resulting from a virus infection.

Skip to content