Urgent Support

Urgent Support Children

This section includes urgent support for some common conditions and how different organisations can help.

111 AND 999

You can call 999 in an emergency or 111 for advice if you are not sure whether your children’s condition is an emergency.

The NHS website have helpfully summarised some of the key points which apply nationally in the following articles


In an emergency if you or someone else has seriously injured themselves, taken an overdose or are on the point of doing so call 999 or go directly to A&E. Other support is provided under


You can call 999 in an emergency or 111 for advice. Some common emergencies which should be assessed in A&E urgently are included under

Spotting serious illness early can make a difference and this is covered under

  • Spotting sepsis describes what are the common features of sepsis which should be assessed urgently in A&E
  • Spotting a sick child covers more broadly the symptoms you may see in a sick child and when you should attend A&E directly and when you instead attend your GP practice.


You can call 999 in an emergency or 111 for advice. Alternatively, there is information on what conditions can be treated with pharmacy support, what can be treated by a local urgent treatment centre and what might need an A&E. This includes information on how you can find your local urgent treatment centres, see under


You can call 111 for help in accessing an emergency dentist including out of hours. This is explained further under

GP practices do not provide dental treatment.


emergency supply

If you run out of medicine outside of your GP surgery’s normal opening hours (Out of hours) and need some urgently then a pharmacy can help. See answer under “Emergency supply of your usual medication” under

Emergency contraception for young people

For “emergency contraception” see subsection “Local support – self referral” under


In an emergency, always call 999. Other options for various crimes, including some national support numbers, can be found under


Support for safeguarding of children (stopping both the risks and experience of abuse or neglect) can be found under

DISCLAIMER: This website is provided for information only and does not provide medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. It does not replace the advice, diagnosis and treatment provided by a medical professional. We will not accept responsibility for any loss, damage or injury that arises from the use of this website.

Links are provided for information only and though we endeavour to ensure the information is accurate, we cannot accept responsibility for the sites linked to or the information found on these sites. A link to a site does not indicate approval or support of the site. While we endeavour to make sure that downloadable content is free from viruses, we cannot accept any liability for damage resulting from a virus infection.

Skip to content